Caldeirão do Corvo
- Site number:1800
- Area:316 ha
- Designation date:16-06-2008
- Coordinates:39°42'N 31°06'W
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Caldeirão do Corvo. 16/06/08; Archipiélago de las Azores; 316 ha; 39°42'N 031°06'W. UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, Regional Nature Park, Sitio de Importância Comunitária SIC. A crater that covers most of Corvo Island's surface and includes two permanent lakes with some scattered islets. The wetland has very good and representative habitats of peat dominated by peat moss Sphagnum and Macaronesian woodlands of great importance at regional level. The site regulates all of the aquifer of the island. The area is well known as passage for many migrant birds either from Europe or North America as the island is more or less at the same distance from both continents. Colonies with high numbers of threatened species of seabirds also occur, e.g., Cory's shearwater (Calonectris diomedea) and the roseate terns (Sterna dougallii). Of the 35 birds species recorded in the site, 21 are also breeding here. Threats to the site include invasive flora species. Ramsar site no. 1800. Most recent RIS information: 2008.
- Global international designation:
- UNESCO Biosphere Reserve
- National legal designation:
- Domínio Público Hídrico - Decreto-Lei n.º 468/71, de 5 de Novembro
- Parque Natural - Parque Natural Regional do Corvo (Decreto Legislativo Regional, nº 56/2006/A, de 22 de Dezembro).
- Regional (international) legal designations:
- EU Natura 2000
- Last publication date:16-06-2008