Humedales de Monkul
- Site number:2423
- Area:1,380 ha
- Designation date:22-05-2020
- Coordinates:38°41'S 73°23'W
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
An estuary system consisting of coastal lagoons, tall grass marshland and riparian grasslands. The site holds about 171 plant species including endemic and vulnerable species, such as the willow-leaf podocarp (Podocarpus salignus). At least 134 animal species including about 80 species of waterbirds and 13 migratory species are present. Endangered species include the the marine otter (Lontra felina). The site is an essential source of livelihoods for the Mapuche indigenous communities that have inhabited the area since pre-Columbian times and use the site for fishing and hunting. Among the main threats are the canalization of the wetland for the expansion of livestock farming, and the change in land use as a consequence of increasing agricultural and forestry activity.
Región de La Araucanía
- National legal designation:
- zona de prohibición de caza - ESTABLECE PROHIBICIÓN TEMPORAL DE CAZA EN EL ÁREA DENOMINADA LAGO BUDI - LAFKENMAPU Y ÁREAS ADYACENTES
- Last publication date:14-07-2020
Ramsar Information Sheet (RIS)
Additional reports and documents
- Taxonomic lists of plant and animal species occurring in the site
- Other published literature