Vellode Bird Sanctuary
- Site number:2475
- Area:77.2 ha
- Designation date:08-04-2022
- Coordinates:11°15'N 77°39'E
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
This human-made tank is an ideal habitat for birds, due to the abundant food resources it provides from neighbouring agricultural fields, and other aquatic organisms. It is an important staging and breeding ground for migratory birds on the Central Asian Flyway and also resident species such as the Indian river tern (Sterna aurantia), oriental darter (Anhinga melanogaster) and painted stork (Mycteria leucocephala). The Site is also an ideal habitat for notable plant species including Cayratia pedata, Tephrosia purpurea and Commelina tricolor. This Site provides drinking water and fish to local communities, and the farmers from the fringe villages enjoy enhanced crop yields with the arrival of a large number of birds, as the irrigation water is enriched by bird droppings. Although classified as a Bird Sanctuary by the national authorities, the Site is threatened by household sewage, urban waste water, vegetation clearance, land conversion and invasive non-native species. There is a management plan available, but it is yet to be implemented.
Declared Bird Sanctuary under Section 26(1) of Wildlife Protection Act 1972 (Central Act 53) in G.O.Ms.No.44, Environment& Forests (FRV) Dept. dated 29.2.2000 in Tamil Nadu Gazette.
- National legal designation:
- A bird Sanctuary (Protected Area) notified under Wild Life Protection Act 1972 (Central Act 53,1972) in G.O.Ms.No.44, Env.& Forests (FRV) Dept., dtd.29.2.2000 w.e.f date of publication on 23.3.2000 in Tamil Nadu Gazette - Vellode Bird Sanctuary
- Comes under the Indian Wildlife Protection Act, 1972 - Vellode Bird Sanctuary
- Last publication date:03-08-2022