- Site number:1129
- Area:6,992 ha
- Designation date:14-11-2001
- Coordinates:61°46'N 12°14'E
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Storkölen is an undisturbed area of high wetland diversity, featuring numerous small lakes, streams and waterlogged areas surrounded by old-growth forests. There are large systems of flark pools, and pools and fen soaks are common. Botanically valuable alkaline fen areas are rich in species, holding a species-rich flora of a composition unusual for this part of the country. The Site is greatly valued for its scenic beauty, old forests and high ornithological values. It is important for breeding water birds such as bean goose Anser fabilis, crane Grus grus, ruff Philomachus pugnax, golden plover Pluvialis apricaria and yellow wagtail Motacilla flava. There is an adjacent Ramsar Site in Norway. Picking cloudberries is practiced as both an economical activity and for outdoor leisure. Visitor facilities include a number of trials with adjacent shelters and huts, information signs and a car park.
- National legal designation:
- Area of national interest for nature conservation - Drevfjällen
- Area of national interest for open air activities - Fjällvärlden från Transtrand till Treriksröset
- Nature reserve - Drevfjällen
- Regional (international) legal designations:
- EU Natura 2000
- Last publication date:29-05-2017