Esteros de Farrapos e Islas del Río Uruguay
- Site number:1433
- Area:17,496 ha
- Designation date:10-12-2004
- Coordinates:32°52'S 58°04'W
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Esteros de Farrapos e Islas del Río Uruguay. 10/12/2004; Río Negro; 17,496 ha; 32°53'S, 058°05'W. Located in the lower stretch of the Uruguay River, downstream from the Salto Grande Dam on the border with Argentina, the site consists of alluvial areas on the river's eastern bank as well as 24 islands, flooded during surges and exposed at low water levels. The system is important for the control of floods and erosion of the river banks. Elevated sand bars along the islands and alluvial plain are populated with forests and allow permanent and intermittent freshwater pools to be present in this dynamic environment. There are records of the near threatened Maned Wolf Chrysocyon brachyurus, as well as of several endangered birds: the Saffron-cowled Blackbird, Xanthopsar flavus, and the Seedeaters Sporophila cinnamomea, S. palustris and S. zelichi, the latter critically endangered. The larger part of the area is owned by the State, and its most abundant use is extensive cattle grazing in the summer, although there is coal, horticulture and citrus production as well. The principal problem affecting the site is soil erosion due to bad agricultural practices in adjacent areas. Ramsar site no. 1433.Most recent RIS information: 2004.
- Last publication date:10-12-2004