Waters South of Zealand, Skælskør Fjord, Glænø and adjacent wetlands
- Site number:158
- Area:18,577 ha
- Designation date:02-09-1977
- Coordinates:55°11'N 11°16'E
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Waters south of Zealand, Skælskør Fjord, Glænø and adjacent wetlands. 02/09/77; Region Sjælland; 18,577 ha; 55°11'N 011°18'E. Natura 2000 (SPA, SAC), Nature Conservation Areas. A coastal area with open waters and reefs, coves, saltmarshes, reedbeds, lakes, islands, woodland and farmland. The whole site is internationally important for wintering, staging and moulting of numerous species of waterbirds as Marsh Harrier Circus aeruginosus and Sandwich Tern Sterna sandvicensis. It also supports more than 1% of European population of Greylag Goose Anser anser, Shoveler Anas clypeata, and Coot Fulica atra. The main factors affecting the ecological character of the site are invasive plant species Rosa rugosa and Heracleum pubescens, which are spreading along the coastline, habitat loss, vegetation succession, water pollution and eutrophication caused by agricultural activities. Hunting has been regulated in order to reduce waterbird disturbance. Site specific management action plans are in preparation. Ramsar site no. 158. Most recent RIS information: 2012.
- National legal designation:
- Danish hunting free network of Reserves - Basnæs Nor, Holsteinborg Nor, Agersø and Skælskør Nor and Fjord
- Special Area of Conservation (SAC) - Waters South of Zealand, Skælskør Fjord, Glænø and adjacent wetlands
- Special Protection Areas for Birds (SPA) - Waters South of Zealand, Skælskør Fjord, Glænø and adjacent wetlands
- nature conservation area - Stigsnæs-Borreby, Holsteinborg
- Regional (international) legal designations:
- EU Natura 2000
- Last publication date:01-01-2012