- Site number:1713
- Area:880 ha
- Designation date:07-11-2007
- Coordinates:36°43'N 10°29'E
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
The coastal plain of Soliman is located at the southern end of the Gulf of Tunis, between two mountains, Djebel Bou Kournine, which means “the mountain with two horns”, and Djebel Korbeus which descends almost directly into the sea. The Site is representative of the wider coastal plain in a near-natural state, and includes a lagoon, salt flats and dunes. It provides refuge to species whose original habitats have been lost, particularly as it is close to Tunis, the capital city, and other nearby wetlands have been lost. It is one of the few places in the area that retain water throughout the summer, and it is an important refuge for water birds, hosting breeding populations such as the marbled duck (Marmaronetta angustirostris), the white stork (Ciconia ciconia), the Mediterranean gull (Ichthyaetus melanocephalus), the Sandwich tern (Sterna sandvicensis) and the collared pratincole (Glareola pratincola). Sebkhet Soliman also contains a typical flora of wetlands dominated by halophyte plants of the Halocnemum and Arthrocnemum genera and Salicornia arabica L. The increasing urbanization of the area could potentially pose a threat to the Site.
- Global international designation:
- Other global designation
- National legal designation:
- la Sebkhet Soliman est protégée par le code forestier - Sebkhet Soliman
- la Sebkhet Soliman est protégée par le code des Eaux et la protection des sebkhat - Sebkhet Soliman
- la Sebkhet Soliman est protégée parla loi n° 95-72 DU 24 JUILLET 1995 PORTANT CRéATION DE L'APALl - Sebkhet Soliman
- Regional (international) legal designations:
- Other international designation
- Last publication date:25-11-2016