Planalto Central das Flores
- Site number:1806
- Area:2,572 ha
- Designation date:16-06-2008
- Coordinates:39°26'N 31°13'W
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Planalto Central das Flores (Morro Alto). 16/06/08; Archipiélago de las Azores; 2,572 ha; 39°26'N 031°12'W. Sitio de Importância Comunitária SIC, Nature Reserve. A plateau area located at around 600m asl dominated by important wetlands ranging from permanent freshwater lakes to forested and non-forested peatlands adapted to low oxygen conditions. The wetlands play a significant role in the hydrological regulation of aquifer recharge and discharge on the Isla de las Flores. Among the four permanent lakes and their excellent water quality, Lagoa Negra is the deepest of the Azores archipelago with its 108 metres depth, while Lagoa Funda is the biggest on the island. The area is among the best place for migrating and breeding waterbirds in the Azores, with several American birds occurring there, and it is also the best conserved complex of mountain habitats in the region. It supports a broad variety of ecosystems supporting a large amount of plant endemism such as Amni trifoliatum, Angelica lignescens, Euphorbia stygiana, Frangula azorica, Juniperus brevifolia, Leontodon filli, Leontodon rigens, Myosotis maritima, Pericallis malvifolia and Viburnum tinus subcordatum. The site is also home of the endemic Bat of Azores (Nyctalus azoreum) also protected at national level. Ramsar site no. 1806. Most recent RIS information: 2008.
Azores archipelago, Flores Island
- National legal designation:
- Domínio Público Hídrico
- Reserva Florestal Natural - das Caldeiras Funda e Rasa (Decreto Legislativo Regional n.º 27/88/A, de 22 de Julho).
- Reserva Florestal Natural - do Morro Alto e Pico da Sé (Decreto Legislativo Regional n.º 27/88/A, de 22 de Julho).
- Regional (international) legal designations:
- EU Natura 2000
- Last publication date:16-06-2008
Ramsar Information Sheet (RIS)
Additional reports and documents
- Taxonomic lists of plant and animal species occurring in the site
- Other published literature