- Site number:1838
- Area:900 ha
- Designation date:15-09-2008
- Coordinates:43°04'N 06°10'E
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Salins dHyères. 15/09/08; 900 ha; 43°05N 006°11E. Natura 2000 SPA; ZNIEFF (Zone Naturelle dIntérêt Ecologique, Faunistique et Floristique). One of the largest Mediterranean coastal wetlands in France, constituted of two separate sites: Salin des Pesquiers and Vieux Salins. The area is of a great importance for many birds during their migration season, but also for breeding and wintering. It regularly supports 218 bird species, amongst them Grus grus, Lanius senator, Calandrella brachydactyla, and Hirundo daurisa. Exploited for salt from 1848 until 1995, the salins dHyères were acquired by the Conservatoire du littoral and represent a mosaic of different habitats very important in supporting a wide range of other fauna and flora species. These wetlands are the only site in continental France where Matthiola tricuspidata and Tamarix Africana can be found. The site is located in an urban area where the main economy is based on coastal tourism. Possible threats are the spreading of exotic species and algal bloom. Ramsar site no. 1838. Most recent RIS information: 2008.
Région Provence Alpes Côte d’Azur
- National legal designation:
- Espace remarquable au titre de la loi Littoral (loi n° 86-2 du 3 janvier 1986) - Salins d Hyères
- l’aire d’adhésion du Parc national de Port-Cros en cours de définition - Salins d Hyères
- Site Classé au titre de la loi « Mérimée » du 2 mai 1930 - Salins d Hyères
- Regional (international) legal designations:
- EU Natura 2000
- Last publication date:15-09-2008