Laguna de Olomega
- Country:El Salvador
- Site number:1899
- Area:7,556.8 ha
- Designation date:02-02-2010
- Coordinates:13°18'N 88°03'W
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Laguna de Olomega consists of a lagoon, the largest body of natural fresh water in eastern El Salvador, and two small islets, in addition to a mangrove forest, swamps, and remains of a tropical dry forest. Its ecosystems support a diverse community of species, with over 100 recorded plant species, including 37 aquatic plants and vulnerable species such as the Spanish cedar (Cedrela odorata), big-leaf mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) and Bravaisia integerrima, a tree of the Acanthus family which is listed as nationally endangered. In terms of fauna, 127 species of birds, 56 mammals, 17 reptiles, 13 fish and five amphibians have been recorded, including vulnerable species such as the American crocodile (Crocodylus acutus), and endangered species like the Geoffroy’s spider monkey (Ateles geoffroyi) and the Salvador stream frog (Ptychohyla salvadorensis). The Site is essential for nearby populations that depend on it for food, as well as flood control and water purification. Among the main threats are water pollution, overfishing, and changes in land use due to the presence of livestock, deforestation and forest fires.
Región Oriental de El Salvador
- National legal designation:
- Área Natural Protegida - Área Natural Protegida Propuesta "San Antonio Silva" conocida como "La Chiricana"
- Área de Conservación - Tecapa-San Miguel
- Last publication date:22-10-2021
Ramsar Information Sheet (RIS)
Additional reports and documents
- Taxonomic lists of plant and animal species occurring in the site
- A description of the site in a national or regional wetland inventory
- Site management plan
- Other published literature