- Site number:2212
- Area:2,054.5 ha
- Designation date:29-08-2000
- Coordinates:53°27'N 05°45'E
- Transboundary Site:
- Duinen Schiermonnikoog (Netherlands)
- Duinen Terschelling (Netherlands)
- Duinen Vlieland (Netherlands)
- Duinen en Lage Land Texel (Netherlands)
- Hamburgisches Wattenmeer (Germany)
- North Sea Coastal Area (Netherlands)
- Schleswig-Holstein Wadden Sea and adjacent areas (Germany)
- Vadehavet (Denmark)
- Wadden Sea (Netherlands)
- Wattenmeer, Elbe-Weser-Dreieck (Germany)
- Wattenmeer, Jadebusen & westliche Wesermündung (Germany)
- Wattenmeer, Ostfriesisches Wattenmeer & Dollart (Germany)
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Duinen Ameland is a small Wadden Sea island characterised by intertidal marshes, dune slacks and polders. The Site was formerly part of Ramsar Site 1252 (Waddeneilanden, Noordzeekustzone, Breebaart) which was divided in six Sites following Natura 2000 borders in 2014. The Site is of international importance for endangered breeding birds such as bittern and red-backed shrike. The dunes form a natural coastal defence against the erosive forces of the North Sea and support rich flora and diverse lichen communities. The Site plays an important role in freshwater supply. Land use is dedicated to tourism, conservation and research, and there is a visitor’s centre in the village of Nes. Potential threats to the Site’s ecological character are posed by gas exploitation, recreation activities, groundwater extraction and drainage for agriculture.
The "Wadden Sea" Transboundary Ramsar Site was declared in 2015 and it includes 13 Ramsar Sites in Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands: Site No. 356 in Denmark; Sites No. 501, 537, 80, 81, 82 in Germany; Sites No. 1252, 289, 2212, 2213, 2214, 2215, 2216 in the Netherlands.
Province of Friesland.
- National legal designation:
- National Ecological Network (NEN) - Duinen Ameland
- Regional (international) legal designations:
- EU Natura 2000
- Last publication date:15-07-2022
Ramsar Information Sheet (RIS)
Additional reports and documents
- Taxonomic lists of plant and animal species occurring in the site
- Site management plan