Udhayamarthandapuram Bird Sanctuary
- Site number:2476
- Area:43.8 ha
- Designation date:08-04-2022
- Coordinates:10°27'N 79°33'E
Materials presented on this website, particularly maps and territorial information, are as-is and as-available based on available data and do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area, or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
The Sanctuary consists of human-made irrigation tanks, interconnected by an ancient network of canals and fed by the Mettur dam through the Koraiyar canal. The Site is an important staging and breeding ground for several species of waterbirds. Notable species observed include the oriental darter (Anhinga melanogaster), black-headed ibis (Threskiornis melanocephalus), Eurasian wigeon (Anas Penelope), Northern pintail (Anas acuta) and garganey (Anas querquedula). The Site provides the surrounding communities with fresh water for human consumption and also livestock and agriculture by storing floodwaters during the monsoon and maintaining surface water flow during drier periods. It also helps replenish groundwater and feeds surrounding smaller wetlands and agricultural land. The Site is threatened by storms, flooding, uncontrolled harvesting of aquatic resources, and recreation and tourism. There is a management plan available, but it is yet to be implemented.
The Sanctuary is located on Tiruthuraipoondi Taluk of Tiruvarur district in Tamil Nadu., and is located about 80 kilometres from Thanjavur, about 58km from Vaduvur Birds sanctuary and 10 km from Point Calimere Birds Sanctuary Block A.
- National legal designation:
- Comes under the Indian Wildlife Protection Act, 1972 - Udayamarthandapuram Bird Sanctuary
- Sanctuary was declared in the G.O.No.379, Environment& Forest (FRV) Dept. dtd.31.12.98.Survey no: R.S.No.11-1 of Udayamarthadapuram village) under section 26 A (1) of The Wildlife (Protection) Act 1972. - Udayamarthandapuram Bird Sanctuary
- Udayamarthandapuram wetalnd was declared as a bird Sanctuary in 1998 (Protected Area) notified under Wild Life Protection Act 1972 (Central Act 53 of 1972) - Udayamarthandapuram Bird Sanctuary
- Last publication date:03-08-2022