- Site number:486
- Area:195,000 ha
- Designation date:13-06-1990
- Coordinates:12°49'N 17°30'E
Lac Fitri. 13/06/90; Batha; 195,000 ha; 12°50'N 017°30'E. Biosphere Reserve. Fed by a catchment of approximately 70,000km² this Sahelian lake plays a vital role in the local economy, especially during periods of low rainfall. It supports a productive fishery and extensive seasonal grazing. Habitat is of international importance for wintering Palearctic waterbirds and as drought refuge for Afrotropical species and elephants. Ramsar site no. 486.
- National legal designation:
- Biosphere reserve - Lac Fitri
- Last publication date:01-01-2005